The City of Greenville Emergency Rental Assistance Program will re-open and begin accepting applications as of November 1, 2021.
This program is only available to applicants who are renters and will assist those who qualify with up to three-month’s rental assistance, not to total more than $1,500.00 to low-income (80% AMI or less) residents who have experienced economic hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and could not afford to pay their rent.
The program will not issue payments directly to applicants, but rather payments will be sent directly to landlords which must be willing to participate in this program. Landlords must be able to provide the City with completed W-9s and ACH/Direct Deposit forms.
The ability to submit an online application for this program does not constitute acceptance, meeting minimum qualification criteria, nor is it a guarantee of a program award. All information submitted will be individually verified and households who provide misleading or false information or who apply more than once for the program (even under a different family member) will be disqualified.
Applications are available online and can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or in-person during office hours (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) with the Planning and Development Services Department, Housing Division located at 201 W. Fifth Street, Greenville, NC.
To qualify, residents must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a city of Greenville resident;
- Not able to pay for rent due to loss of income related to COVID-19. Must be able to demonstrate loss of employment income or increase of household/medical expenses after March 1, 2020.
- Current annual income is less than:
- $35,500 for an individual household
- $40,600 for a two-person household
- $45,650 for a three-person household
- $50,700 for a four-person household
- $54,800 for a five-person household
- income cap continues to increase with household size
- Applicant/Landlord must not be receiving rental subsidies for which they are applying that may be considered duplication of benefits from any other federal, state, and/or local program for the unit in which the applicant is living. Such programs include, but are not limited to: Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, HOPWA Tenant Based Rental Assistance, Public Housing, Section 202, VASH, or other.
How do I Apply?
The application period begins Monday, November 1, 2021. The application period will be open until enough applications have been received to deplete the funding available for this program.
If you do not have internet access through a computer or your phone or you need assistance applying, please contact us at 252-329-4607.
Below is the documentation you will be required to provide with the application. The City will not notify of eligibility until all documentation has been received.
- Copy of current valid NC Drivers License or Government issued Photo ID;
- Proof of significant economic impact (ie loss of income, incurred significant costs, or experienced financial hardship due to COVID-19);
- Self-Certification Statement of income, self-employment, and assets;
- Copy of current executed lease agreement under applicant’s name or showing applicant as tenant. The address of the property listed on the lease agreement must be located within City of Greenville limits.
NOTE: Guidelines, forms, and other documents utilized for this program are subject to change from time to time to ensure proper utilization of public funding.
Click here for the complete guidelines for the City's Emergency Rental Assistance Program.