Life Safety Services conducts routine and specialized fire inspections on every building within the City except one and two family residences. Inspections are also performed within a one mile radius outside of the city limits (extraterritorial jurisdiction). Home and residential inspections are done on request by the resident. On the average, 3,500 inspections are conducted annually and are performed in accordance with the NC State Fire Code by State-certified inspectors.
Check the link for a list of some of the most common fire code violations. Be sure to walk through your facility and correct any items listed.
In the event of a fire, the bureau will conduct an investigation to determine the cause and origin. Members of the Life Safety Services staff are certified as NC Fire/Arson Investigators and receive specialized training in this area. They work with other agencies such as local law enforcement, State Bureau of Investigation (SBI), Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), and insurance investigators.
For more information, please contact Fire Marshal Bryant Beddard at (252) 329-4416.
Fire Inspection Schedule
The North Carolina General Statutes state that Fire Code inspections are required for all places of business. The minimum frequency rates for inspections are as follows:
1 Year Inspections
- High Rise
- Residential (except one and two family dwellings)
- Assembly (ie: restaurants, clubs and other places of entertainment)
2 Year Inspections
- Industrial facilities
- Educational facilities (except public schools*)
3 Year Inspections
- Churches and synagogues
*Public schools are inspected twice a year
- Application for Fire Inspection
- Application for Event Permit
- Application for Underground Storage Tank
- Request Courtesy Inspection
- Exhibit/Tradeshow Checklist
- Fireworks Display Checklist
- Fumigation/Fogging Checklist
- Open Burning Checklist
- Tent Checklist
- State Required Inspection for License Information (ex. foster care, daycare, group home, day treatment facilities, etc.)
- 2012 North Carolina Fire Code