City offices are currently open on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9 a.m. to noon and on Tuesday and Thursday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Click here for the latest COVID-19 information.
Notice of Sale of City Property: Click here.
  • Art Museum Inside

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • How do I know if my property is historic?

  • What does it mean if my house is located in National Register Historic District?

  • What are the benefits of owning an historic property?

  • Where can I find a full copy of the Greenville preservation Ordinance?

  • Are there any special requirements that I maintain my property?

  • Will I get a plaque?

  • Do I have to open my house to the public?

  • Will I have difficulty selling my house?

  • What if I want to demolish my property?

  • Will I be required to do anything to my property? What can’t I do to it?

  • Will I have to alter the building to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act?

  • Will this change my current base zoning?

  • Can I lease out my house?

  • Is the inside of my property regulated?

  • Can I renovate my property?

  • Will my yard be affected?

  • Will my storage shed (or other out-buildings) be affected?

  • Will my pets be affected?

  • Are there local, state or federal grants or loans available for renovations?

  • Will historic overlay zoning cause my taxes to increase?

  • Won’t Greenville lose tax revenue because of tax breaks for historic properties?

  • Will historic overlay zoning decrease my property’s value?

  • Do I need a permit to perform work on my property?

  • Do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) to make repairs to my house or grounds?

  • When do I need to apply for a COA?

  • What is the COA application procedure?

  • How does the public hearing work?

  • How long will it take to obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness?

  • After I have obtained a Certificate of Appropriateness, can I begin work on my property?

  • Can I appeal the Commission’s decision?

  • Are there any penalties for violating provisions of the ordinance?

  • More questions?