Greenville, NCHome Menu
General Driveway Design Standards
Pre-pour and post-pour driveway inspections will be based upon the driveway standards presented below, which are also presented in the City’s Manual of Standard Designs and Details. Click here for a copy of the City's Driveway Permit.
- Residential Driveway (W/no sidewalk) - Std 421.01 [Rev. 1.: dated 9/16/11].
- Residential Driveway (W/sidewalk greater than 5' from curb) - Std 421.02 [Rev. 1.: dated 9/16/11].
- Residential Driveway (W/ sidewalk located within 5’ of curb) - Std. 421.03 [Rev. 1.: dated 9/16/11].
- Residential Driveway (Roll curb with sidewalk) - Std. 421.04 [Rev. 1.: dated 9/16/11].
Note: Circular or dual driveways for single-family residential lots must be reviewed and approved by the City Engineer or her designee prior to the issuance of a driveway permit.
- Typ. Conc. Driveway (Commercial, Industrial, Institutional, Multifamily) – Std.420.01 [Rev. 1: dated 9/16/11].
- Typ. Asphalt Driveway (Commercial, Industrial, Institutional, Multifamily) - Std. 420.02 [Rev. 1: dated 9/16/11].
Note: Commercial driveways shall be installed per a city-approved site plan if one has been submitted for new construction.
General Inspection Requirements
- Right-of-way and appropriate property corners are to be located and marked by the responsible party before a pre-pour inspection is performed.
- All driveways must have a pre-pour inspection after all formwork is in place. The inspector will evaluate all work to be performed within the right-of-way. (Note: Joint spacing cannot be evaluated at this time.) The inspector will evaluate the location of the driveway in regards to its proximity to the property line, stormwater catch basins, and other public services infrastructure.
- After completion of driveway construction, a post-pour inspection of a driveway(s) is required prior to issuance of a certificate of occupancy. The driveway apron, curb/gutter, and sidewalk (if applicable), should be free of dirt and debris prior to final inspection.
- A twenty-four (24) hour notice is required for all driveway inspections (pre-pour, final, and re-inspections). Inspections requests will be scheduled through the City of Greenville’s Inspections Division.