Animal Protective Services

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option



The Greenville Animal Protective Services Unit operates within the Greenville Police Department. Duties include enforcing the City of Greenville's Animal Ordinances, educating the public on proper animal control responsibilities, and investigating animal cruelty, dog bites, animal attacks, and vicious dogs.

Mission Statement

The mission of the Greenville Animal Protective Services Unit is to promote responsible pet ownership and animal welfare. We strive to provide quality service to the citizens, while dedicating ourselves to improving the co-existence of animals and humans.

Leash Law

The City of Greenville has a 24-hour leash law. Every person owning or keeping a domesticated animal must keep it on his/her premises. Animals are permitted off the owner's property if the animal is on a leash or under some other means of physical control. Animals found running at large will be picked up and taken to the Pitt County Animal Shelter. Owners will be cited and fined for these violations. To report an animal running at large or other animal problems, call 252-329-4387 or 252-329-4315.

To view all animals picked up by Greenville Police Animal Protective Services visit: - Shelter Details

Every animal picked up will be scanned for a microchip and checked for tags on their collar to attempt to contact the owner. Animals picked up will be taken directly to the Pitt County Animal Shelter. We will go above and beyond to locate your lost pet by patrolling your neighborhood when time allows.  There is a good chance we already have your pet or have spoken to someone who has found your pet. We highly recommend you microchip your pet, North Carolina State law requires all animal agencies scan animals that come into our facility or custody. An ID tag with a rabies tag on your pet's collar is an additional step to help us reunite you with your pet. 

Contact the Pitt County Animal Shelter at 252-902-1725 to see if someone turned in your pet. Please do not delay contacting the Pitt County Animal Shelter. Due to the limited amount of space, North Carolina state law only requires the shelter to hold a stray animal for 72 hours.


TNR is the process of humanely trapping feral cats, sterilizing, and vaccinating them. They are also “ear-tipped,” to signify that they have been part of a TNR project, then returned to the same location in which they were trapped.

TNR is known to:

  • Stabilize the population of feral cats
  • Reduce shelter euthanasia rates
  • Improve the overall health of feral cat colonies
  • End undesirable behaviors displayed by unaltered cats

For more information about the City of Greenville's Trap-Neuter-Return program, click here.

Permits For Certain Animals / Activities

The City of Greenville requires that certain animals be permitted through the Animal Protective Services Division of the Police Department. Some examples are exotic animals (certain reptiles, savannah cats, etc.) as well as certain animal related activities (circus, exhibition show, urban beekeeping, etc.). To apply for a permit, print the appropriate application below and return it to the Greenville Police Department at 500 S. Greene St, Greenville NC 27834.

Urban Beekeeping (Free Permit)

Exotic Animal ($75.00 Permit Fee)

Circus/Exhibition Show ($250.00 Permit Fee)

Illegal Dog Fighting

North Carolina General Statute 14-362.2 makes it a felony in the state of North Carolina to fight, instigate, conduct, promote, allow a dog to participate, allows property under the person's ownership or control to be used for, gambles on, or profits from an exhibition featuring the baiting of a dog or the fighting of a dog with another dog. If you suspect that dog fighting is occurring in your neighborhood, please contact our office and we will follow up on your complaint. The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) offers up to a $5000.00 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of persons involved in dog fighting. The HSUS animal fighting tip line can be reached at 877-TIP-HSUS (877-847-4787).

Animal Cruelty

A dog left chained outside without food, water, or shelter; a sick or injured animal whose condition goes untreated; an animal showing obvious signs of abuse; or a neighbor child who throws rocks at squirrels, are all examples of neglect and abuse that put animals in danger. You can help by being observant. Is the situation getting worse? If you see an act of overt cruelty or neglect, call Animal Protective Services at 252-329-4387.

Public Nuisances

The following acts of a dog, cat or other animal or group of animals are declared public nuisances:

  • frequent, habitual howling, yelping, barking, fighting or making of other noises which disturb the neighborhood;
  • chasing, snapping at or attacking a pedestrian, bicycle rider or vehicles;
  • turning over garbage containers, damaging gardens, flowers or vegetables;
  • running at large while in heat;
  • by virtue of number or type is offensive or dangerous to the public health, safety or welfare;
  • or any act, noise or condition created which is offensive to people or destructive of real or personal property.


Rabies is an ever present disease in North Carolina and though-out the United States. Rabies is a neurological disease that is contracted through the saliva, tears, or cerebral spinal fluid of an infected animal into an open wound, most often through a bite. If you or someone you know has been bitten by any animal or see any animal displaying unusual or abnormal behaviors please contact or office immediately at 252-329-4387. DO NOT APPROACH ANY ANIMAL SHOWING ABNORMAL BEHAVIOR.

Wildlife in Residential Areas

The Animal Protective Services Division is not able to go into attics or crawl spaces for any animal issues, however if an animal has found its way into the main living areas of your home we will gladly remove it for you.  Since these animals are considered wildlife, we cannot relocate these animals and they must be released in the same general area where they were found. If you often see these animals outside near your home and the animals are not showing abnormal behavior, contact the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission at 1-866-318-2401. See the below links for the species you have concerns about for information on how to Co-Exist with wildlife.


Greenville Animal Protective Services

Phone: 252-329-4387

Emergency Phone: 252-329-4300

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer