Internal Affairs

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


As a community-oriented law enforcement agency, the Greenville Police Department strives to make your contact with the department professional and informative in every way. In order to be responsive to the needs of our community we encourage input from our citizens.

The Greenville Police Department takes citizen compliments, questions and concerns seriously. Your constructive comments about our service will help us achieve our goal of providing the highest quality of service possible.

Inquiring about Policies

You may, at any time, inquire into the policies and procedures of the Greenville Police Department. The policies and procedures are in writing, on record, and maintained by the Accreditation Manager. The Greenville Police Department Policy and Procedure Manual is also available online.

Whether you would like to file a formal complaint or you would like information on how an incident was handled you may inquire on the policies and procedures of the Greenville Police Department.

Filing a Complaint

We encourage you to inform us when you have had an unprofessional experience resulting from improper officer conduct or employee misconduct.

The Internal Affairs Unit of the Office of the Chief of Police is responsible for coordinating investigations related to police officer or employee misconduct.

When you file a concern or complaint with the Department, you will get a written response to acknowledge the receipt of your complaint. The complaint will be investigated within 30 days and you will be notified when the investigation is concluded. During the investigation, you may be asked to participate in an interview to determine the facts of the complaint.

The police department requests that you file complaints in person whenever possible. If you are not able to file a complaint in person, you may call the Internal Affairs Unit at 252.329.4373. You may also call 252.329.4317 and ask to speak to an on-duty supervisor. The supervisor will record your concerns and forward them as necessary to the Internal Affairs Unit. Likewise, you may email your concerns to Lt. Keith Garner,  [email protected]. You can also send complaints via regular mail to 500 S. Greene Street. 

When registering a complaint against a department employee, it is helpful if you remember the name of the officer or employee involved, however, this is not always necessary. The date and approximate time of the incident, the specific circumstances of the incident, and other pertinent information should be provided.

All information and evidence is thoroughly reviewed to determine if the employee’s actions violated a law or departmental rule or procedure.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer