Licenses & Permits

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Most businesses are required to obtain some form of local/state license or permit. Each license and permit is specific to the individual business. Business owners should take the necessary steps to make sure that the business does not violate regulations or ordinances. Improper permitting and licensure can be a costly mistake. Here are some examples of the types of permits a small business would typically encounter:

City and Local Licenses/Permits

Building Permits
A building permit is needed for new construction, additions, renovations, change of business in an existing building, sign permits, among other scenarios. See our building permits page for more information.

Alcohol License
If you are engaged in the business of selling beer and wine, you must first obtain a permit from the NC Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (NCABC). After obtaining this permit, you must apply for a beer and wine business privilege license from the City of Greenville Collections office located 200 West Fifth Street, 1st Floor.

Food Service:
Restaurants, food trucks, food stands, mobile food units, temporary food permits, and catering operations are regulated by the Pitt County Environmental Health Division.  This entity is a division of the Pitt County Health Department and is responsible for inspecting food and lodging establishments within Pitt County. See our food service permits/license page for more information.

Home Business License:
A business operated from home must obtain approval from the City of Greenville’s Planning Division after completing a Home Occupation Assessment form. When you have completed the form, you can submit it at the following address:

City of Greenville Planning Division
Municipal Building
201 West Fifth Street
Greenville, N.C. 27834
(252) 329-4498

State License/Permits

For information regarding state licenses, contact:
Business Link North Carolina (BLNC)
Extension of NC Department of Commerce (Economic Development Partnership of NC)
15000 Weston Parkway
Cary, NC 27513
(919) 447-7828 (in Raleigh) (800) 228-8443

The services provided by this office include:

  • Individualized assistance from counselors in identifying appropriate licenses and permits
  • Customized information packages including applications and instructions on applying for licenses and permits
  • Resource center for information on over 700 business licenses and permits


One can also visit the State of North Carolina Boards and Commissions site to see of any additional state requirements that may be required based on type of business and services.

Special licenses and permits. In certain instances, such as contractors’ licenses and bonding, day care certificates of competency, etc., you will need to obtain specific industry licenses and permits. The Business Link North Carolina (BLNC) office should be able to help you in this area, or refer to the numbers listed below:

BLNC (919) 447-7828 or (800) 228-8443

Alcoholic Beverage Permit (919) 779-0700

Rest Home License (919) 855-3765

Architecture License (919) 733-9544

Auctioneer License (919) 567-2844

Barber Examiners License or Cosmetic Arts License (919) 733-4117

Electrical Contractors License (919) 733-9042

General Contractors License (919) 571-4183

Board of Funeral Service (919) 733-9380

Plumbing & Heating Contractors (919) 875-3612

Real Estate (919) 875-3700

Nursing Home or Home Health Facility (919) 733-7461

Child Day Care License (800) 859-0829

This represents only a partial list. To verify the requirements for your business, contact Business Link North Carolina (BLNC) at (800) 228-8443 or in Raleigh at (919) 807-4280.